Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Great Shampoo Experiment II

You'd be lost without this picture...I'm sure of it!

Shampoo experiment #2:

1/2 cup baking soda (Update: I now recommend 1/4 cup baking soda, due to this experience .)
 3 cups water

 I mixed this in an old Dr. Bronner's container by shaking it.


Rinsed with:

4 Tbsp white vinegar or apple cider vinegar (Update: I now recommend white vinegar over apple cider vinegar, due to this. )
3 cups water

Yup, I used another (separate) Dr. Bronner's container. I shake it up as well.

Verdict: 

It is very weird to shampoo with something so watery, and that has no lather. You have to shake it up every time you use it, and if it has been in the bottle for awhile it will get more gritty.

What the shampoo looks like if you let it sit for awhile
It will feel like you are dumping grit water on your head and then washing it off, which is pretty much what you are doing. That said, it seems to clean my hair pretty darn thoroughly.

I've been trying this one for a few weeks, and I really like it so far! This seems to work out a lot better in hard water, and I haven't noticed any build up on my hair or brush.

This is what it looks like when it is new and well shaken.

The rinse is really key, and so far I've only used the white vinegar version. It makes it smell like Easter in the shower for a few minutes, but once I rinse off the smell is all gone. I am trying apple cider vinegar tomorrow, so we'll see how that works out.

My hair feels lighter since using these on my hair instead of shampoo, and my scalp psoriasis has been clearing up. I have no idea if that is related to this, or just one of those things that happens sometimes.

I'm going to keep using this for now, and hope that it doesn't dry out my hair and make it brittle. I'll tell you if it does.

As you can see, I use fancy masking tape on the bottles to remind myself which bottle is which (even though it is actually pretty obvious).

Oh, and two fun tips:


1. Add the baking soda first, and then add the water. If you get your funnel wet and try to pour into it, the whole thing becomes a pain.

2. Don't pour vinegar into bottles while having them on top of a tablecloth. You'll inevitably spill vinegar and have to do laundry. Okay, maybe YOU won't...but I will.

~ Patty :)

PS  If it isn't obvious, you wash your hair with the shampoo first. Then, you rinse with water. After that, you use the rinse. Then, you rinse with water again (or you'll smell like an Easter Egg).

No comments:

Post a Comment