Saturday, July 28, 2012

Following a Recipe: Nana's Mashed Turnip by DARIA K

The organic farm share that we bought into this year gives us boxes of veggies, but they don't have any kind of invoice or information about what veggies they are.

I suppose that they think that if you spend good money on a few months of vegetables, then you are someone that knows what they look like and what to do with them.

Well, I fooled them. :)

I don't know the difference between a turnip and a rutabaga. After searching the internet, I think that the box that they gave me recently contained a few turnips and a rutabaga. I thought they were all turnips, so I used the big "turnip" and followed Nana's Mashed Turnip Recipe by DARIA K. It turned out WONDERFUL! So, this is actually a rutabaga recipe too.

I'd show you a picture of what these mashed yummy things looked like, but we all ate it up before I could snap a picture.

Nana's Mashed Turnip Recipe (turned into a mashed Rutabaga Recipe and slightly changed)

  • 1 large rutabaga
  • 3 white potatoes
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2.  Peel the rutabaga and the potatoes.
  3. Cut up the rutabaga and potatoes into cubes or cube like objects. (It doesn't matter, you are going to mash them anyway.)
  4. Put them all in a pot, and add enough water to just cover them.
  5. Boil the water, and then cook them for 25-30 minutes.
  6. Pour them out into a strainer, and then put them back in the pot.
  7. Add milk, 2 tablespoons butter, salt, pepper, and sugar.
  8. Mash them up.
  9. Put the mixture in a baking dish, put some butter on top, and then put on a loose cover. (I used foil that wasn't tight.)
  10. Bake for 15 minutes, and then take the cover off. 
  11. Bake for 8 minutes with the cover off, or until things are slightly golden brown.

Verdict: 

These were super easy to make, and folks devoured them. I was surprised to find out that I loved them. It is like eating mashed potatoes, but with a bit of spicy special zing in the mix. Super yummy! I liked these so much that I want to grow rutabagas now.

~ Patty :)

No comments:

Post a Comment