Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies with White Chocolate Chips

I pretty much followed a recipe on this one, with some really minor alterations.

I was having a five alarm sweet tooth emergency at 11pm or so, and tried to imagine what my mouth wanted. It answered chocolate and oats. I looked around for a recipe and found Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies by Norcal. I didn't go too far afield with this, as I'd had some unfortunate hamburger recipe issues earlier in the day (which I'll write about soon).

I didn't have semi-sweet chocolate chips, but I had some leftover white chocolate ones. I like a bit more vanilla in my cookies, and I also needed to cook these longer than was stated in the original recipe.

Darn good cookies, actually.

Ingredients

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup margarine
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 cups rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
  1.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Mix flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl with a whisk.
  3. Mix margarine, brown sugar and white sugar in a different bowl. Then mix in the egg and vanilla. 
  4. Mix the two bowls together, slowly bringing the dry ingredients into the wet ones and mixing a bit after each bit is added. 
  5. Mix in oats and choco chips.
  6. Put parchment paper on a cookie sheet. (I cannot sing the praises of parchment paper enough!)
  7. Spoon out the cookie mixture onto the cookie sheet. I liked 1 tablespoon sized spoonfuls. 
  8. Cook for about 11 1/2 minutes. (The original recipe said 8-10, but that didn't work for me very well.)
  9. Remove from oven and let them sit on the hot sheet for 5 minutes, then put them on a cooling rack.
 Verdict:
My child ate some, but wasn't in love with them.
I adored these cookies, and so did my partner.  I think that I might want to double this recipe in the future, because I'm going to be out of cookies fast. I think these are some of the best ones that I've baked so far.
~Patty 

1 comment: